There are many ways to help!
How have you been gifted?
What does "give" personally mean to you?
We all have the opportunity to make a difference, to shine in the lives of others. You just need decide if you will stand up, be seen and take their hand. Your personal answer may be to physically take their hand to pray with them, to raise hammers together, or enable good works to happen through your financial gifts.
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. Matthew 5:14-16
Should we keep our talents and blessings under a basket in hopes that someone else will take care of what God has prepared each of us uniquely to do, or shall we each let our light shine?
"For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
Until you experience being that light and providing HOPE to those in need it's hard to describe.
Together, we are Hand of Hope Ministries.
So dig deeper, and answer the question....
What are the ways that you can help others in need?
If your talent is to make the trip and be His hands and feet on the street that is fantastic!
Think about your personal talents and abilities. You may not truly realize the real answer until you are standing face to face with those in need. Are you to go on trips, to be the hands, feet and hope of Jesus, while others are the support from home? Who are you?
- Are you a great listener? Many times Outreach Ministries we partner with are so understaffed they don't have time to sit and talk with their patrons. You, just by caring enough to listen to them, show them that they DO matter, .
- Do you like to cook? We have people on the trip who take turns working with our head chef to create our fabulous dinners.
- Are you talented in construction or the trades? We always need people who want to multiply their gifts by leading others in many fields.
- Can you stand in the gap and pray? You can provide hope and let them know that God DOES care about them even at a time when they face many trials and their lives have been turned upside down, possibly for no reason they can understand.
- Can you push a broom? NEVER underestimate the value this person can bring to our team... You have MORE value to us than you can even imagine!
If your support can best be given through financial support, that is extremely helpful also!
Enabling volunteers to go is a wonderful gift. We would not be able to keep the cost of trips at a level that people on the edge of their financial ability could go without the financial assistance of many. We on a very regular basis have people who want to participate but cannot pay their full way, they have a heart to serve but not a billfold to support their generosity. Supporting this ministry with your financial offerings enables many to go and to be with those in need.
Providing assistance to homeowners by purchasing some of the materials is a huge and unexpected blessing. Many times the people we serve have limited financial resources. This could be for several reasons, a couple we commonly see is that they are victims of unscrupulous contractors, or find out they have inadequate insurance. Many people, especially in Cedar Rapids, faced this issue as they lived above the 500 year flood plain, so like you and I, they saw no reason to purchase flood insurance. It is such an awesome gift to tell them we can help in this way.